Intrigue Talk about the Oldsmobile Intrigue within...

2001 Olds Intrigue no spark

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2009, 05:45 PM
Default 2001 Olds Intrigue no spark

I have a 2001 Intrigue that died on me on the other day and I was hoping all you experts out there could help me figure out the problem.
I was driving on the freeway when the car died - no bogging or sputtering, just completely dead. The engine turns over fine and will fire for a second or so but then die. After repeated attempts to start it will not even fire at all, but after wating a while it will make some attempts the first few tries.
No DTCs.
The fuel pressure is good at approximately 40psi. I pulled one of the ignition modules and appear to be losing spark when the engine stops firing, which further leads me to believe it's an ignition problem and not a fuel issue.
In the process of troubleshooting I managed to get the car running (coincidence, I'm sure) with one of the ignition modules pulled , so I know the engine is capable of running on three cylinders (even with one plug out). This makes me quite confident that the problem is higher up than the ignition modules.
My first guess was fuel pump, but I'm getting good fuel pressure. My next guess was crank position sensor, because I know it's a common issue, but I'm getting no DTCs. Is it possible that the crank sensor is still the problem? It doesn't look like it's that hard to replace, but I don't want to start spending lots of money on parts if I don't have a good idea what the problem is.
Any ideas?
Thanks.

Last edited by tyler219; 04-27-2009 at 05:56 PM.
Old 05-10-2009, 10:33 PM

I am also interested in the answer to Tyler's question; I am having a similar problem.
I have a 2000 Intrigue with an LX5, 3.5L, V6, and Multiport Fuel Injection. This car will crank but not start.

Cranking and not starting began about a year ago, becoming more frequent until now. When it was running, it might hesitate or stall when beginning to accelerate from a stop. Most of the time it did start, did not hesitate, or stall.

It would not start one day in front of a used car dealer. His mechanic read the ECM codes; there were no errors recorded. He found gas under pressure at the fuel rail. While troubleshooting, the car started and then ran fine. The mechanic had no idea why it started or why it would not start before that. I drove it home with no problems. It never started again.

Where should I begin with trying to get this car on the road?

Old 05-10-2020, 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by tyler219
I have a 2001 Intrigue that died on me on the other day and I was hoping all you experts out there could help me figure out the problem.
I was driving on the freeway when the car died - no bogging or sputtering, just completely dead. The engine turns over fine and will fire for a second or so but then die. After repeated attempts to start it will not even fire at all, but after wating a while it will make some attempts the first few tries.
No DTCs.
The fuel pressure is good at approximately 40psi. I pulled one of the ignition modules and appear to be losing spark when the engine stops firing, which further leads me to believe it's an ignition problem and not a fuel issue.
In the process of troubleshooting I managed to get the car running (coincidence, I'm sure) with one of the ignition modules pulled , so I know the engine is capable of running on three cylinders (even with one plug out). This makes me quite confident that the problem is higher up than the ignition modules.
My first guess was fuel pump, but I'm getting good fuel pressure. My next guess was crank position sensor, because I know it's a common issue, but I'm getting no DTCs. Is it possible that the crank sensor is still the problem? It doesn't look like it's that hard to replace, but I don't want to start spending lots of money on parts if I don't have a good idea what the problem is.
Any ideas?
Thanks.
why turn and no start??