Intrigue Talk about the Oldsmobile Intrigue within...

Need to Replace Alternator?

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2008, 05:38 PM

For the last week I have noticed that my 98 Intrigue GL is making a rattling noise when idling, and when accelerating making a whining noise that I had never noticed before. Today I was coming home from work on a 65mph highway when I noticed the steering locked up to the the point where the steering wheel would only move a few inches side-to-side and it was very hard to turn it any further than that. I got off the nearest exit and saw that the battery light was on. I was trying my best to make it home as I was only about a mile and a half away when all of a sudden the oil temperature needle (which has never gone over the halfway point EVER) went all the way to the tip of the gauge, and the red light at the bottom of the gauge came on. Soon after that the "Anti-lock" light came on, and the "trac off" light came on. I made it to the entrance of my apartment complex and then the car starting getting really loud and shuttering. I coasted into the parking lot and tried to turn the car into a parking spot but that was a very difficult task, taking almost three minutes to get the steering wheel to turn far enough to back up into the spot, then turning it the other way to straighten it out. From what I can tell it is the alternator finally going bad from reading posts on other forums, according to other people''s signs such as the battery light, and power steering loss, but I have not read where anyone had their oil temperature shoot through the roof or the loud shuttering. This has been a great car and this is the first issue I have had with it (other than hitting a deer). I hoping it is just an alternator, if so I can pick a new one up at Advanced Auto Thursday when I get my paycheck. But if anyone else has had this happen to them or if it sounds like more than just the alternator I would greatly appreciate hearing from you.