Intrigue Talk about the Oldsmobile Intrigue within...

upgrade to optional bose system

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2007, 02:15 PM

We just bought my parents 2001 Olds Intrigue, they got it new through my discount, (I work for GMAC).

Despite my persuading them to opt for the bose upgrade they did not.

Now that it is our car now, the wife would like the better sounding system, so we'd like to try to do it if possible. I've searched and haven't found any information yet. I do see the head units and amps resonably priced on ebay. Still not sure what else is involved and what exactly may be needed besides the head unit, trunk amp, and obviously the speakers.

Being able to look up part numbers would help also, so If anyone knows how to do that, please let me know.

Old 07-08-2007, 08:33 PM

what you need is component speakers, they come w/ the pair of speakers, and a pair of electronic crossovers. those would be for the doors, your rear speakers you would want a nice three way, they have the midrange and tweeter in them, Some nice alpines would sound great. you dont have to go w/ the spendy bose, then get yourself a nice 4 channel amp. I guarantee you and your wife are going to love the sound. try looking up best buy, you will find exactly what you are looking for. I install systems in my spare time, so anymore ?s let me know. good luck

Old 07-10-2007, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by purxtcy
what you need is component speakers, they come w/ the pair of speakers, and a pair of electronic crossovers. those would be for the doors, your rear speakers you would want a nice three way, they have the midrange and tweeter in them, Some nice alpines would sound great. you dont have to go w/ the spendy bose, then get yourself a nice 4 channel amp. I guarantee you and your wife are going to love the sound. try looking up best buy, you will find exactly what you are looking for. I install systems in my spare time, so anymore ?s let me know. good luck

thanks, its weird timing after my posting this, but I think the factory rear amp blew or quit. I noticed last night the system sounded like crap and adjusted the fader, front normal power, rear very quiet. They are getting signals, but little to no power. I looked for the rear amp in the trunk lining and couldn't find it. Is it under the seat? If the stock 2001 base cd/cass system doesn't have an amp, looks like I might be replacing more than just some speakers unfortunately.

Does anyone know if the stock system rears are amplified, and if so where is the amp and is it fused?

Advice appreciated.

Old 07-13-2007, 07:57 PM

i recomend going to Crutchfield.com. They have great deals on high quality replacements for your speakers, and they give very detailed installation instructions. You will need a 5 1/4 inch component system for the front speakers, you will have to custom mount the smaller parts, and you will need 6x9 speakers for the rear. Bose is a great brand which boasts great quality, but if you spend a little extra on some Infinity or Alpine speakers, you will be impressed and your wife will love it.

the brand of the actual cd unit does not matter so much as the speakers, as long as you like the look and ergonomics of it. Make sure it has all the features you want. I would recoment Alpine, they make top notch head units which are quit affordable.