New Member Area Are you new?? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride...

Help! 2000 Olds Intrigue overheating

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2007, 08:49 PM

I put my 2000 intrigue in the shop to have the water pump replaced (preventive maintenance) 114,000 mi. on old pump. Shop put a rebuilt pump on first. I drove 8 miles and it overheated on me. Took it back and they said there was air in the lines. They bled lines. I drove another 8 or 9 miles and the same thing. I told them to put a new pump on. New pump, same results. Since then they've changed the thermostat, cleaned the radiator, installed additional bleeder valves in hose, and done two different tests for head gasket leak. No leak, but the car still overheats when driven. It does not overheat in park and idling. Any suggestions? We're running out of options. Thanks!
Steve

Old 01-11-2007, 06:00 PM

I have the same problem with my 98 Intrigue. I've changed and replaced the thermostat and radiator and still it begins to overheat. I also noticed that the coolant light begins to flash then it stays on. I realized the problem is that the cooling fans are not running and cooling the radiator. So it seems it can be an electrical problem. What you can try to do is run your A/C, since it is linked in someway to the cooling fans. See if this helps, assuming your cooling fans are not working properly. Try it while you are driving right as soon as you begin to notice the temperature rise. This should bring it back down. I also have an A/C problem. When I turn it on, it constantly shuts off and back on. I don't know if you have this problem.

s1_d
</font>
Edited by: s1_d

Old 01-11-2007, 08:51 PM
Super Moderator

1ST; IF I DIDNT HAVE A PROBLEM BEFORE I LET THIS GARAGE WORK ON MY CAR I WOULD INSIST THAT THEY PAY FOR WHATEVER PROBLEM EXIST AND FIND IT AT THEIR EXPENSE. THIS INCLUDES A LOANER CAR. IF YOU GET A FULL REFUND FOR SERVICES PROVIDED YOU STILL HAVE THE PROBLEM THEY CREATED AND A CAR THAT WONT GO. THIS KIND OF SHODDY WORK MAKES ME BOIL. THE BLEEDER VALVE IS ON THE THERMOSTADT HOUSING AND EASY TO USE, YOU CAN DO THIS YOURSELF. DONT BE RUDE TO THE SHOP BUT INSIST THEY HANDLE THE PROBLEM THEY CREATED. IT REALLY SOUNDS LIKE AIR LOCK TO ME. I HAD A 1999 INTRIGUE AND THIS SOLVED THE PROBLEM. ( BLEEDING THE SYSTEM )

Old 01-15-2007, 11:56 AM

I didn't consider the cooling fans not working properly. I'll check that out. I'm wondering if driving the car after they put the first pump on and then overheating caused the head to warp. The car's been in the shop since Dec 18th. It's my feeling that they're now stalling, since they're not making any money off of me now.