New Member Area Are you new?? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride...

Just sayin’ "hi"

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2006, 05:07 AM

Hi everybody!

Just dropping a line to introduce myself. My name's Ajay and last Memorial Day I bought a 1996 LSS 88. From my dad. Which, I guess, makes it my father's Oldsmobile (the joke may not be funny anymore but will probably be around as long as anyone remembers the ad campaign from 1988). It's my first full-size American car since the 1972 Cutlass I had in high school.

Anyway, the car is great. It has all the options but two (which I'm working to correct): it lacks the cd player in the deck, and it has the normally-aspirated 3800 engine with about 110k on the clock. First, apparently, is the engine. I scored a complete engine with supercharger and correct Goodwrench replacement trans this past weekend, so I'mplanning the transplant in the next month or so after my buddy with a machine shop goes through and gives it a clean bill of health.

So, anyway, if anyone has done this conversion before I'd be real interested to learn from your experience, find out what to look out for, where the traps are, &c &c.

Thanks,

Ajay

Old 01-05-2006, 02:20 PM
Administrator

did it come with the electronics?

Old 01-05-2006, 07:43 PM

Welcome aboard AJ. I dont know much about the swap, but whenever you do it, take some pics and show us the progress...

Old 01-06-2006, 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by Patrick
did it come with the electronics?

I got the entire engine harness from the firewall connector out, so it should be a simple plug-n-play, but did not get the PCM. According to the service mgr at my local BOP dealer, there is only one computer for both the N/A and supercharged engines. At least there's only one part number listed.Apparently the PCM generates the fuel and sparkcurves realtime based on a factory "baseline" and input from the MAF, O2, and other sensors.

On the bad news front, I got a call from my machinist to come and get the engine out of his shop. He doesn't have room for it anywhere, especially with the trans and everything still attached. So I took it to my small workshop, where I will have to strip it myself. By itself that's fine, at least I'll know where everything went and be able to photodocument the disassembly process and bag-n-tag the hardware as I go. The problem is that this now pushes the schedule out a good 2-3 months because I only have maybesix hours a week (and of course not all on the same day) to work on it.

I'm happy toshare the photos and experience as I go, I'll either post here or link to my website as soon as I make one.