New Member Area Are you new?? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride...

starting problems

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2007, 09:16 AM

recently bought a 01 Aurora sometimes won't start. The first time the dealer said it was the starter relay. But this time i left it sitting overnight and could'nt start with my key fob 2. But i used my key fob 1 and started but know can use no 2 to start it. Whats the problem

Old 09-25-2007, 09:46 AM

I have to assume it's the remote starter your having problems with? Not being disrespectful, It does start with the key? If only having a problem with one key/fob start with the basics is it OEremote starter or aftermarket? Check the battery (switch from the known good one to the inop one see what happens) If it's a aftermarket key/fob,is there a little led light on the fob that lights up? You might have bad battery or key/fob. If it's an OE it might bad or needs to be programe. I'am master journeyman GM tech at a dealer.

Old 09-25-2007, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by BOOGIE
I have to assume it's the remote starter your having problems with? Not being disrespectful, It does start with the key? If only having a problem with one key/fob start with the basics is it OEremote starter or aftermarket? Check the battery (switch from the known good one to the inop one see what happens) If it's a aftermarket key/fob,is there a little led light on the fob that lights up? You might have bad battery or key/fob. If it's an OE it might bad or needs to be programe. I'am master journeyman GM tech at a dealer.
it does not have a remote start. basically one key starts the car and the other does not work until started by the first key

Old 09-25-2007, 06:25 PM

So it's the security that u r having problems with? Sounds like the second second ign/key is not programed did that second key come with the car when u purchase it? Or did you have one made on your own? Take the first key that starts the vehicle & start the car,when it starts turn it off& quickly insert second key and start car and see what happens.

Old 10-16-2007, 09:45 PM

AHA! I am so glad I found you. Did you solve this problem? My 2001 Olds Aurora sounds very similar to yours. It has an intermittent "not starting" problem. I have never tried using a different key but within 10 minutes it will always decide to start. Of course, I can't have the problem duplicated at the dealership so they can't fix it. It has done this several times but I have not really kept track of situations. But two of the times, I noticed that it was not "off" for a long period of time before I tried to start it again. Maybe five minutes.

When it happens, it's like there is NO POWER at all....doesn't crank at all; doesn't turn over at all, but my headlights come on (I have them set to auto) and the check engine light comes on and is the only light on the dashboard at that point, which is what happens when it also starts. So, there IS power at that point even though starting wise, it seems like there is no power.

I do have two key fobs on my key chain because I had the dealership install a remote control starter but I've had that for two winters now and there was no problem until perhaps six months ago with this starting situation. I like some of the features on my original fob so I use them both. Sometimes I will lock with one and unlock with the other and vice versa. I haven't noticed if there is any connection between those and the not starting times. I just use whichever one for unlocking/locking that my hand seems to find first.

Now that the weather is colder, I am starting to use my remote start but this happened all summer too when I never used my remote start. Once this happened when I was driving, actually I had come to a stop at a stop sign and my car quit and then it wouldn't start. But after a few minutes, it did start. My husband is worried that one of these days, I will actually be driving and it will conk out on me.

Now to possibly add more informaiton that may or may not help. They have also worked on another problem with my car that they have not been able to correct. When I do use the remote start and if I do not immeidately go to my car, then the Driver's Information Center (computer readout) says, "Theft System Fault". Finally, they just gave up on it saying to me, "It really doesn't affect the operability of your car, so let's just not worry about it any more as there is nothing we can do to make it quit doing this." (not my preference of an answer but you can only beat a dead horse so many times)

Of course, I don't have time to have the dealership come to me or for a werecker to haul it in under these circumstances because by then it would start.