New Member Area Are you new?? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride...

Well, I'm not "New", but I haven't been on much, like to reintroduce myself

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2013, 04:51 PM
Default Well, I'm not "New", but I haven't been on much, like to reintroduce myself

Alright, so, previously I owned a 1986 Custom Cruiser, daily driver, and a 1989 Custom Cruiser, parts car. Long story short, both where far gone, sold 'em. Looked at buying an '85 Delta 88, 307, 200R4, but it was sending exhaust out the dipstick, and, the oil looked like something that would bleed from the Creature from the Black Lagoon.

Anyway, didn't buy the '85 Delta 88, instead, I found a 1977 Delta 88 on Craigslist, got it for $650 (I'm not ENTIRELY of the mindset that "It must be an Oldsmobile", but I prefer them). It's a no frills base model, no power options, solid bench seat. Only options it had where a 350 w/ 4bbl, VIN L, and AC. Oh and the AM/FM radio, as I understand it, the AM radio was still base equipment.

So, what did I get for $650?

Engine was swapped at 81k (Currently has 178k miles) miles in 1993 for a GM Goodwrench, dunno what kind but the lowest HP version I can find is around 230HP, still has the Q jet, not sure what intake it has. I'm not sure if it had a Chevy 350 or Olds stock, but seeing as the intake is an old iron lump, it was probably a chevy. We all know olds intakes don't swap to chevy motors.

Has newish, mismatched tires, Goodyears in the back, Coopers in the front, both 215/75R15, and they're going to get swapped for 235/70R15's when they go bad.

New radiator, remanufactured alternator and starter, don't have much faith in the starter, it's a remanned unit from Advance Auto, had one on my wagon and my wagon destroyed it.

Somewhat new exhaust, but it needs to be replaced, muffler looks like it was used as a football, pipe has a few holes. Will swap for a Thrush Welded 2 1/2" in, dual 2 1/2" out muffler with a new catback system, I'll just run a pipe through the catalytic converter.

Had drums and new shoes put on the back, dunno when but the rear drivers side drum still has a bit of orange paint and a sticker. Rearmost drivers side brake shoe has popped loose of the clip at the top, will be getting new shoes and wheel cylinders soon. Drum is fine, aside from some minor wear at the point where the shoulder of the shoe rubbed the wall of the drum. Contact surface isn't damaged.

Bunch of other stuff, like the heater blower motor was replaced at some point, found the old one in the trunk in a box, the AC was updated to R134a in 1998, the trans fluid and filter was changed in 2k3. Oil was changed recently, needs it again, cheap oil. Surprisingly this car has mostly been well kept up with good quality parts, for instance, the spark plug wires are NAPA branded 8mm wires. Not great, but not horrid either.

It also needs front and rear shocks, mostly fronts, the front pass side bushing has left the shock, pics below in the link. Will replace the fronts when I do the rear brakes. With the rear shocks in their current condition, it'll look like one of those old school low riders, with the rear end sunk down and the front end way in the air. Hilarious, bad for handling, and it will not stay that way long.

I'm also going to be installing a Pioneer head unit, DEH-7500HD, with kicker CS354's in the dash, and CS 6934's in the rear deck, 6x9's. No wiring back there, couldn't use it there was, they used a common ground from the factory.

Anyway, that's my car, and as for myself? I've liked Oldsmobile's for a long time, my father had an '84 Cutlass, and that '86 Custom Cruiser for a long time while I was growing up. I considered only buying this car for the engine and swapping it into something else, but then I realized something, and bear with me on this.

The curb weight of an F or G body, say, Camaro or Cutlass, with a 350 and TH350 is about 3,450lbs, my car, with four doors and a mafia approved trunk size is only 3,678lbs. I mean hell, let's be honest, a modern front wheel drive car with a four banger weighs that much anymore. So, basically my plan for this car is to build a mild cruiser, that will be a bit of a sleeper. No one has a clue that the underpinnings of this car are the same as the popular Caprice cop car.

So yeah, thought I'd re-introduce myself to some like minded Oldsmobile enthusiasts.

Pics of the '77 Delta 88:

http://s55.photobucket.com/user/Dead...?sort=3&page=1

Last edited by Dead Reckon; 11-18-2013 at 04:56 PM.
Old 11-23-2013, 09:15 AM

I like Oldsmobiles too, but of a different era. My father had a 1948 Futuramic. See what I mean?

All Olds fans are unique and welcome!

Old 11-24-2013, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by OldsD88
I like Oldsmobiles too, but of a different era. My father had a 1948 Futuramic. See what I mean?

All Olds fans are unique and welcome!
Oh, the predecessor to the 98, never seen one in person though. Have seen a '48 88 though. Those ole' cars are real tanks, but they where pretty powerful for the time.