Silhouette Talk about the Oldsmobile Silhouette within...

trailer brake control

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2010, 09:28 AM
Question trailer brake control

I have a 2002 Silhouette AWD GL and I'm installing a hitch. There is a multipin receptacle under the dash just left of the steering column. Could this be the plug in point for the controller?

thanx,
James

Old 07-25-2010, 10:48 AM

That is the OBD II port for the vehicle computer. That truck is not heavy enough to pull a trailer that would require trailer brakes so don't get over zealous with what you tow.

Old 07-25-2010, 11:22 AM

The trailer is only 2200lb. Should be fine. Thanks for the info on the connector.

Old 07-26-2010, 09:57 AM

FYI, the towing specs for a 2002 AWD Silhouette is 3500 lbs MAXIMUM. You should be certain your rear auto-leveling suspension is properly functioning including the air compressor. Also check the independent rear short and long arm suspension w/anti-roll bar & the rear coil springs.

The optional trailering package would have a 4 pin harness in the back, but would have absolutely no means of having the use of electric brakes on that wiring harness.

Finally, I'm glad someone pointed it out that the serial pin connector under the dash is an OBDII connector. Had you tried to use this & supplied voltage to various pins, that probably would have been the end of your van. You might want to seek the advice of a pro on this trailering idea. Personally, other than a lightweight basic trailer, I recommend against it... but I'm no pro, and it's not my vehicle.

Ref

Old 07-27-2010, 07:00 AM
Default towing

[quote=KS_Referee;9288]FYI, the towing specs for a 2002 AWD Silhouette is 3500 lbs MAXIMUM.

Yup, as I said, the trailer is 2200 lb with a 3000 lb gross. I've done my homework

You should be certain your rear auto-leveling suspension is properly functioning including the air compressor. Also check the independent rear short and long arm suspension w/anti-roll bar & the rear coil springs.

This goes w/o saying, but certainly well worth the reminder

The optional trailering package would have a 4 pin harness in the back, but would have absolutely no means of having the use of electric brakes on that wiring harness.

It's there and very useful in doing the wiring for the hitch. The brake control is a whole other issue that I've had some previous experience with, so while a PITA to run the wire back to the hitch, no real challenge

Finally, I'm glad someone pointed it out that the serial pin connector under the dash is an OBDII connector. Had you tried to use this & supplied voltage to various pins, that probably would have been the end of your van.

Again, that's why I asked on the forum. I know better than to start poking wires into places I'm not sure of. Most of my experience has been with cars you could actually work on w/o an engineering degree.

You might want to seek the advice of a pro on this trailering idea. Personally, other than a lightweight basic trailer, I recommend against it... but I'm no pro, and it's not my vehicle.

I'm not a pro either, but I have had more than passing experience with pulling trailers, installing hitches and the attendant wiring, though I have to admit it has been with far simpler vehicles than the current complex computerized systems we now drive. Hence the question about the plug.

In any case thank you for your input