Alero Talk about the Oldsmobile Alero within...

Broken spark plugs

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2009, 06:20 AM
Default Broken spark plugs

I was changing my spark plugs on my 99, 3.4 and 2 of the back plugs snapped off,not the threads,but the nut part where the socket goes.I worked on these for over an hour going back and forth,slow so this wouldnt happen and they still broke.What are my options now?Is they a way to get them out or would it be better to take it somewhere and hope they can get them out?Has this happened to you before?Thanks,Dan.

Old 03-30-2009, 11:55 AM

Tow it to a shop, you don't want to make it any more of an expensive repair if you screw the threads up.

Old 03-30-2009, 12:42 PM
Super Moderator

Did the porcelain break off or the metal jacket (the nut part)? If it was just the porcelain you can still get the rest of the plug out with a socket. I have broken quite a few spark plugs but never broke one where the jacket broke off and left the threads in the head. If you use some never sieze on the threads you will never have a problem getting them out again.

Old 03-30-2009, 06:16 PM

The nut part broke off,I had head and intake gaskets put on about 2 yrs ago and ask them to put in the plugs and they didnt,he said they looked ok so he cleaned them and I know he didnt use anti-seize on them.Im not real happy for the 35 dollars for plugs would have been alot cheaper than the 700-800 dollars its going to cost me now.i called around today and it looks like the best way is to pull the head off.

Old 03-30-2009, 07:56 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Hunterdank
The nut part broke off,I had head and intake gaskets put on about 2 yrs ago and ask them to put in the plugs and they didnt,he said they looked ok so he cleaned them and I know he didnt use anti-seize on them.Im not real happy for the 35 dollars for plugs would have been alot cheaper than the 700-800 dollars its going to cost me now.i called around today and it looks like the best way is to pull the head off.
Wow man, I feel for you. Too bad it wasn't a fron one huh? If you do all the work yourself it wont cost no where near $700. There are walk throughs on the net that can help you through getting the head off. I have done the head gaskets on my car and it wasn't too bad of a job. Whatever way you do it if you need help just ask.

Old 03-31-2009, 06:11 AM

Any good place to get gaskets resonable,and brand to buy or not to buy?Also I think I need to get new head bolts dont I ?Thanks for all your help,Dan.

Old 03-31-2009, 10:57 AM
Super Moderator

I just looked on www.oreillyauto.com.
Here is what you will need:
upper intake plenum gasket
lower intake manifold gasket/ the updated one made of metal not plastic
valve cover gaskets
exaust manifold gaskets
head gaskets
head bolts
oil
coolant

You can buy all the gaskets individually for about $206.94, thats with the head bolts but not the oil and coolant.
Or you could buy the Fel-Pro gasket set for $145.99.
It includes:
head gaskets
valve cover gaskets
upper intake plenum gaskets
lower intake manifold gaskets
exuast manifold gaskets

If you get the set with the head bolts it will be around $175.98. Then all you would need is the oil and coolant. I would also buy a distributor mounting gasket, P/N 70024 from Fel-Pro. Use it with the oil drive o ring for a seal that will never leak.

Whatever route you go just make sure you get the updated intake manifold gaskets, they will be metal, the old ones are plastic. If you want a shop to do it make sure they use they new ones.

Last edited by rustyballs_69; 03-31-2009 at 10:59 AM.
Old 04-09-2009, 11:20 PM

Good news,sort of.I ended up finding a shop that said they thought they could get the plugs out without removing the head,and the did.The guy said they make inserts something like a heli-coil only better,all fixed and it starts and runs great,cost me 200 bucks,but much better than 700-800 for removing the heads.I would like to thank you all for the helpful info,now I need to fix the passlock problem.How do I know if its a PK2 and is there a easy way to get at the wires without tearing the dash apart?This is on a 1999 alero with a 3.4.Thanks,Dan.

Old 04-10-2009, 11:12 PM
Super Moderator

I'm almost 100% certain that it's a PK2, but it doesn't matter. The fix I described (inserting a resistor) works with both the PK1 or 2.
The wires you need to access come from the ignition switch, the easiest way to access them is to take the trim piece from the gearshift off. Then remove the trim around the radio, and unbolt the radio. You don't have to unplug the radio wires, just move it out of the dash and out of the way. You will be able to see the wire bundle from the ignition switch then. Mine was wrapped in black tape. There should be just enough slack to pull it out so you can solder the resistors in.
See my post "A fix for Passlock problems" in this section of the forum for more info, including detailed directions and an article explaining PK1 and 2.