Alero Talk about the Oldsmobile Alero within...

Interior lights wont shut off

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2011, 08:23 AM
Default Interior lights wont shut off

Hi.I have a 2001 olds alero 2.4 and recently had a security light issue.I took it to the dealer and they diagnosed my ignition switch and lock cylinder was bad.So i replaced them myself.Now my interior dome light ,mirror light, and door chime will not shut off when the key is off. Now this is the strange part,yesterday i took a drive and noticed when i drive the interior lights go off but when i stop they come back on.Any help on this would be great .
I also have another question related to the new ignition switch and lock cylinder i replaced.GM dealer told me i would have to bring it back to them to reprogram the new ignition switch to the car.Is this true? Do i have to take it to them or will the relearn method work? Thx for any help

Old 05-01-2011, 09:52 PM
Super Moderator

The relearn method should work. Be sure to wait the full 10 minutes each time. If you are driving it now after the replacement and the security light is not on, you don't need to do the relearn at all.

For the lights, are you sure you got the correct switch? Maybe a wiring change between model years caused some wires to be swapped in the connectors?

Old 05-02-2011, 07:23 AM

I checked to make sure and the ignition switch was right one.Also the light problem happened before the new ignition switch was put in. Now the security light hasnt come on but the light problem is still present.Also my auto door locks and trunk release button dont work when i press the buttons in the car,but they work when I use my keyless entry. Im not sure if there is a door switch gone bad or something else.Any ideas on where to start looking for the problem would be great....thx

Last edited by indianagh; 05-02-2011 at 07:34 AM.