Alero Talk about the Oldsmobile Alero within...

New Head, Gasket rough Idle

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2011, 06:15 AM
Default New Head, Gasket rough Idle

Got a (im sure common) issue here. I recently Replaced the Head gaskets on a 02 3.4 alero, did the intake gaskets and all. When I put it back together it idles and runs sorta rough and has some power loss. Did a compression test, all good, checked vac lines and all good. Sprayed starter fluid around intake gasket no idle change. new wires, plugs and all that jazz.. No coolant in oil, SO any ideas? I think maybe still lower intake gasket may have cracked And BTW I did torque the head down @ correct pattern and lbs. Thank you in advance

Old 03-31-2011, 10:19 PM
Super Moderator

Even though there are no codes, scan it. You may have a misfire code pending if the idle is that bad. I assume you double checked all the plug wire routing and connections.

You may have cracked a vacuum line in the remove/replace process, spray them as well. You could also get a bad/misgapped spark plug out of the box. Is there any chance a plug got oil fouled during the installation?

How about a fuel injector oring crack? But you should see the leak if that was the issue.

Old 04-01-2011, 01:04 AM

And just as a safety measure NEVER use starting fluid to check for vacuum leaks. It's made with ether and is VERY flammable. It's much better to use carb cleaner. It is flammable as well, but not so volatile.

Old 04-01-2011, 10:33 AM

Good ideas...but i tried all of that, looking for cracks, starting fluid and ect...when I sprayed no idle changed at all...i sprayed inside the manifold(in between the fuel rail) every where no idle change..Im considering MAYBE a injector...but they were fine prior to the head gasket install...and i know the head and gasket are good, heads were redone and tested and holds compression like a champ....ughh

Old 04-03-2011, 08:37 AM

Found the problem, Took off the upper and lower intake, looked at the back head, #1 was full of gas... Tested injectors and found that #1 is stuck open...A new injector and gasket will cure it all!

Old 04-03-2011, 04:44 PM
Super Moderator

Glad you found it!

Old 04-04-2011, 07:50 AM

Thanks, me too! I was baffled looking at the heads and then looked deeper and saw all that gas burying the valve on #1. I was like haha.. Zip tied all the injectors(dont trust those clamps) and triped the fuel system and what do ya know #1 injector was spraying non stop ha. BTW I lost a few pintle caps a few months ago on this car.. Are they really needed? I read that they just insulate and protect the end of the injector..but no one sells them around here with out purchasing an injector...so what do ya think about that

Old 04-07-2011, 08:33 PM
Super Moderator

If it ran okay without them, you are probably alright without them. If it will keep you up at night to not have them, I would go pull some from a junkyard.

Old 04-08-2011, 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by Iflylow
If it ran okay without them, you are probably alright without them. If it will keep you up at night to not have them, I would go pull some from a junkyard.

Thats what I did, I went to pull-a-part and got a few extra injectors too..some parts for my GTI, total was only 20 bucks..

Old 06-27-2011, 11:58 PM
Pau

Originally Posted by ruggeri5054
Got a (im sure common) issue here. I recently Replaced the Head gaskets on a 02 3.4 alero, did the intake gaskets and all. When I put it back together it idles and runs sorta rough and has some power loss. Did a compression test, all good, checked vac lines and all good. Sprayed starter fluid around intake gasket no idle change. new wires, plugs and all that jazz.. No coolant in oil, SO any ideas? I think maybe still lower intake gasket may have cracked And BTW I did torque the head down @ correct pattern and lbs. Thank you in advance
Thanks, me too! I was baffled looking at the heads and then looked deeper and saw all that gas burying the valve on #1. I was like haha.. Zip tied all the injectors(dont trust those clamps) and triped the fuel system and what do ya know #1 injector was spraying non stop ha. BTW I lost a few pintle caps a few months ago on this car.. Are they really needed? I read that they just insulate and protect the end of the injector..but no one sells them around here with out purchasing an injector...so what do ya think about that
I can't help but laugh because I also encounter this problem on the gasket last week like you guys. The problem was on the #1 also.. Cheers to us..

Last edited by Pau; 06-28-2011 at 08:01 PM.