General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

99 silhouette head gasket replacement

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2007, 07:13 PM

I have also posted this on the Silhouette forum, but I am really wanting to get my van put back together, so I'm trying to reach as many people as possible.

I justbought a '99 Silhouette with a blown head gasket, and I'm working on replacing it. I've at the point now that I'm getting ready to put the new gasket on and put the engine back together, but I need to know a few things-
1) What is the torque specifications for the exhaust manifold studs?
2) "" "" "" "" "" "" for the rocker arms - and/or the sequence to put them back in?
3) What is the bolt sequence for the heads?

On a side note, any ideas where I can get a new battery tray for this sucker? The old battery was corroded like crazy so the corrosion dripped on the tray, plus I broke the tray taking it out.
ANd one other thing- Any thoughts on re-rounding the oil dipstick tube? It's a little squished right now..... don't ask.

Old 06-06-2007, 10:10 PM
Super Moderator

Exhaust manifold torque is 12 ft.lbs.

The following is from the manual:

NOTE: Valve train components which are to be reused must be installed in their original positions. If removed, be sure to tag or arrange all rocker arms and pushrods to assure proper installation.

NOTE: Place the valve train parts in order to ensure they are installed in the proper location. Intake pushrods are yellow and measure 5.68 inches (144.18mm). Exhaust pushrods are green and measure 6.0 inches (152.51mm). When removing the pushrods, make certain they do not fall into the lifter valley.

<UL>
    <LI>Pushrods </LI>[/list]

To install:
    <LI>Inspect and replace components if worn or damaged. Clean all old thread locking material from the pedestal bolts.
    <LI>Coat the bearing surface of the rocker arms, pushrods and rocker arm bolts with a prelube (such as GM 1052365). Make certain to install the components in their original position.
    <LI>Install or connect the following:
    <UL>
    <LI>Intake valve pushrods which are 5.68 inches (144.18mm) long
    <LI>Exhaust valve pushrods which are 6.0 inches (152.51mm) long
    <LI>Rocker arms. Torque the bolt to 14 ft. lbs. (19 Nm) plus 30 degrees
    <LI>Rocker arm cover. Torque the bolt to 89 inch lbs. (10 Nm).
    <LI>Negative battery cable </LI>[/list]<LI>Start the engine and verify the vehicle is running properly. </LI>
    <LI>
    <H3><A name=T1>Cylinder Head </A></H3>
    <H4><A name=T2>REMOVAL &amp; INSTALLATION </A></H4>

This engine uses aluminum cylinder heads. Use care when working with light alloy parts. Valve guides are pressed in. Roller rocker arms are located on a pedestal in a slot in the cylinder head and are retained on individual threaded bolts.

The cylinder heads are retained by torque-to-yield bolts. A torque angle meter is required for proper torque during assembly. New replacement head bolts are recommended.

Before removing the cylinder head(s) from the engine and before disassembling the valve mechanism, perform a compression test and note the results. During disassembly, be sure that the valvetrain components are kept together and identified so that they can be installed in their original locations.
    <H5><A name=T3>Left (Front) Side </A></H5>

To install:
      <LI>Clean all parts well. Clean all gasket surfaces. Carefully remove all varnish soot and carbon to the bare metal. DO NOT use a motorized wire brush on any gasket surface since the soft aluminum will be damaged. If necessary, the head can be disassembled for thorough inspection and reconditioning.
      <LI>Inspect the cylinder head for cracks. Do not attempt to weld the cylinder head. If cracked, replace it. Check the cylinder head deck, intake and exhaust manifold mating surfaces for flatness. These surfaces may be reconditioned by milling. If the surfaces are warped more than 0.005 in. (0.127mm), the surface should be milled. If more than 0.010 in. (0.251mm) of metal must be removed from the head, the head should be replaced.
      <LI>Clean the cylinder head bolts and the bolt holes. Check the head bolts for damaged threads or stretching. New replacement head bolts are recommended.

NOTE: Refer to Section 1 of this manual for the cylinder head torque sequence illustration. The illustration is located after the Torque Specification Chart.

<LI>Install or connect the following:
      <UL>
      <LI>New cylinder head gasket which is marked which side is UP
      <LI>Cylinder head by aligning it with the dowel pins
      <LI>New cylinder head bolts coated with a sealant (such as GM 1052080). Torque the bolts in the proper sequence (1-8) to 37 ft. lbs. (50 Nm). Using a torque angle meter turn the bolts 90 degrees in the proper sequence.
      <LI>Left side exhaust manifold. Torque the bolts to 12 ft. lbs. (16 Nm).
      <LI>Spark plugs. Torque the plugs 11 ft. lbs. (15 Nm).
      <LI>Spark plug wires
      <LI>Oil level indicator tube. Torque the fastener to 18 ft. lbs. (25 Nm).
      <LI>Right side mount strut bracket. Torque the fastener to 37 ft. lbs. (50 Nm).
      <LI>Thermostat bypass pipe. Torque it to 18 ft. lbs. (25 Nm).
      <LI>Exhaust crossover pipe. Torque the fastener to 18 ft. lbs. (25 Nm).
      <LI>Valve rocker arms and pushrods. Torque the fastener to 89 inch lbs. (10 Nm). Using a torque angle meter torque the fastener an additional 30 degrees.
      <LI>Lower intake manifold. Torque the bolts to 115 inch lbs. (13 Nm).
      <LI>Upper intake manifold. Torque the bolts to 18 ft. lbs. (25 Nm).
      <LI>Negative battery cable </LI>[/list]<LI>Refill the coolant system.
      <LI>Change the oil filter and fill the engine with clean oil.
      <LI>Turn the ignition to the ON position several times to pressurize the fuel system. Start the engine and inspect for any leaks, repair if necessary. Check and top off the fluid levels if required. </LI>[/list]<H5><A name=T4>Right (Rear) Side </A></H5></LI>
      <LI>
      <H5>Install or connect the following: </H5></LI>
        </LI>
        <LI>Hope this helps!</LI>[/list][/list]

Old 06-11-2007, 11:55 AM

yes, thank you very much, i take it you have the manual as a computer file? [img]smileys/smiley1.gif[/img]

Old 06-11-2007, 10:09 PM
        Super Moderator

Yes, I have access to it through our local library, unfortunately I can't find a way to post the whole thing so you can see it as well. Check with your library, maybe they have something similar. I'm in Alabama, and I know from other forums that several other states have the same virtual library system.

It also had a pdf file that showed the head bolt sequence, but again, I couldn't find a way to post it for you.