Aurora Talk about the Oldsmobile Aurora within...

"security" and "service engine soon"

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2005, 12:44 PM

Howdy. I inherited a 95 Olds Aurora fron my brother in-law when he went to jail and have been trying to resurect it. It needed keys, a stater and has transmition problems. Oh my![img]smileys/smiley4.gif[/img]Sooo... I shelled out two hundred to a locksmith to get keys, replaced the starter myself, fired it up and the dash warning lights " service engine soon", "security" and "change oil" come on and won't go away. I had the battery disconnected for at least half an hour and thought that would clear them. I wonder if changing the ignition switch or having the air bag out could be responsible? thanks in advance for any help!

Old 04-26-2005, 02:57 PM
Administrator

the owners manual shoudl tell you how to reset the oil change light...it varies from car to car....are the new keys prgorammed keys? have you driven the car? does it run ok?

Old 04-26-2005, 11:09 PM

thanks for the reply! I found the owners manual and was able to reset the change oil light! Now it has additional new tricks,,,,[img]smileys/smiley6.gif[/img]It won't start at all - doesn't even try to turn over. the battery is fully charged I'm not sure where to start checking. I looked at the fuse \relay chart in the owners manual and found at least three possibilities that were labeled "ignition". Thought maybe the starter I put in might be binding up ... I just don't know. my latest plan is to swap the defroster relays for the ignition relay, let the car sit for half hour to make sure any lingering secuity blocking gizmozs are disabled and try then. After that I think I'll dig back down to the starter, removeit and see if I have any voltage there. [img]smileys/smiley5.gif[/img]Any more suggestios much appreciated!

Old 05-10-2005, 03:35 PM

WELL THE SECURITY LIGHT COMES ON BECAUSE THE DOOR IS LOOK OR CLOSED. AND THAT MOST AURORA HAVE ALARMS, SO THATS WHY THE SECURITY LIGHTS ON. AND THE CHECK ENGINE LIGHT COMES ON MOST LIKELY BECAUSE YOU NEED A TUNE UP. AND IF THE KEY YOU GOT MADE DOESNT HAVE A CHIP IN IT IT WONT WORK. AURORAS HAVE TO KEYS, ONE TO OPEN THE DOOR BUT NOT START THE CAR, AND ONE WITH THE CHIP TO ONLY START THE CAR. GOOD LUCK!

OWNER OF A 97 OLDS AURORA

Old 05-12-2005, 04:36 PM

im not sure if its the same on these cars, but on the silhouette and 98 regency, the security light means that the keys are not programmed or incorrectly programmed. if its in ACC, then most likely the SES light will go away when engine is running.

Old 10-10-2005, 04:23 AM

Originally Posted by rhw1967
Howdy. I inherited a 95 Olds Aurora fron my brother in-law when he went to jail and have been trying to resurect it. It needed keys, a stater and has transmition problems. Oh my![img]smileys/smiley4.gif[/img]Sooo... I shelled out two hundred to a locksmith to get keys, replaced the starter myself, fired it up and the dash warning lights " service engine soon", "security" and "change oil" come on and won't go away. I had the battery disconnected for at least half an hour and thought that would clear them. I wonder if changing the ignition switch or having the air bag out could be responsible? thanks in advance for any help!

So you don't think it was stolen or anything right? The security light being on is a bad sign I suspect.

Old 11-02-2005, 06:23 PM
Administrator

i thought that the security light also signified a problem with the system??