Aurora Talk about the Oldsmobile Aurora within...

2002 Aurora - Tranny Troubles

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2008, 11:45 AM

Hello,

I have a 2002 Aurora V6 with about 70K miles on it. On three occasions when driving in "slow and go" highway traffic, my transmission will shift very roughly (up and down) until I am able to bring the car to a full stop. After the first incident, the dealership did nothing since there were no GM error codes. After the second incident, my local GM dealer replaced a "pressure regulator" since error codes were produced. This had not solved the problem, since it is back in the shop today after the 3rd incident (this time with no error codes).

Has anyone had a similar experience, and if so, what is the cure!?!

Thanks

Rocinante
< =text/>
_uacct = "UA-939292-46";
urchinTracker();
</>

Old 06-03-2008, 08:39 AM

Me again.. [img]smileys/smiley4.gif[/img]

I picked up the car from the dealership last night. Their tranny tech had driven it over 30 miles but could not duplicate the problem. As far as they can tell, the problem is electrical, not mechanical. They had gotten a "soft error" code after the second incident (which led them to replace the pressure regulator), but there were no error codes present this time.

Any ideas??????????
< =text/>
_uacct = "UA-939292-46";
urchinTracker();
</>

Old 08-15-2008, 03:04 PM

Hi Folks,

I''m still looking to resolve this issue (my aftermarket warranty may cover this repair before it expires). Any help or ideas would be HUGELY appreciated.

Thanks!

Old 08-21-2008, 07:05 PM

I have an 01 V8 aurora. Within the first few month''s of driving my car I experienced hard shifting. Most of the time it accurred when shifting in to reverse. Eventually I decided to take it back to the dealer who was miles away( I live in NY, dealer is in N.J) about 2 weeks before the warranty ended. Dealer discovered that there was a problem with tranny. This problem cost 1,899.00. I was fortunate that the powertrain was still covered. I suggest that you put pressure on the dealer while you are still under warranty. My tranny needed a complete over haul, clutche''s band''s etc. Tranny is known to have problems in this car for some reason. If you have the V8, it''s the same tranny as the Caddy STS, but it''s not known to have issues in that car. Go figure. I suggest you get on your job! Put some pressure on the dealer, it might save you some money. Good luck!

Old 08-21-2008, 10:42 PM

Thanks Jojo.

I bought my 2002 V6 in Feb 07 with 62K miles on it. I had a tranny flush at my local dealer, and there were no problems at that time. It''s only been this summer that I didn''t have the problem. I do have a 3rd party warranty, so I''m going to try again with the dealer, or just take it to a transmission specialty shop.

Old 08-23-2008, 08:47 AM

Do your self a favor and avoid Tranny (complete ) flush in the future. Changing filter and dropping pan is fine, but the complete flush can be a problem. Had a 1996 cutless ciera, had no problems with tranny, but just wanted to do some preventive maintenance, so I had complete flush done. Two month''s later started having tranny problems. Eventually had to get it rebuilt. My tranny guy told me that that was the worst thing I could of done to my tranny. Had 85,000 miles at the time. Tranny fluid is very sensitive. Good luck..

Old 08-26-2008, 12:21 PM

Thanks Jojo,

Do you have any more information (weblinks?) on why a flush is not recommended for a transmission? Is there anything I can do about it now?

Old 08-30-2008, 05:44 PM

Unfortunately Roc,I don''t have any online supporting info, although I''ve never searched for any. Just my personal experience and the experience of my Tranny tech, who has a great deal of experience with multiple types of transmissions. What I can tell you is that I initially had no problem with my tranny, but I let a local lube station, while changing my oil convince me that my tranny fluid was dirty and that I should have a complete fluid change. Shortly after thefluid changemy problems began. My tech told me that the guck in the fluid is what was holding it together, and that transmissions are extremely sensitive to fluid. He said he has seen this a number of times.No evidence to confirm anything Roc, just my experience which I''ll use with present and future cars.You can decide yourself, best of LUCK!!