Cutlass Talk about all models of the Oldsmobile Cutlass within...

Brake Fluid Refill *EVERY*day

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2007, 06:00 PM

I've kept an eye out under the car to see if there's a leak somewhere, there's no leaks - I even put cardboard down throughout. Problem is - I have to refill my brake fluid every day because it's eating it up.

What is going on? I Just got new brake pads all around -my mechanic (who's also adouchebag)mentioned there's a problem with my rear passenger caliper but he wasn't very spiffy on the whole issue.. so I was left in the dark.

But would the caliper really be causing this problem? And can you just replace one, wouldn't that affect the performance all around?

Sorry guys, I'm an expert but I really would LOVE to understand before I hand out some more money. [img]smileys/smiley14.gif[/img]

OO If you need the info: 1995 Cutlass Supreme (I prefer to go topless [img]smileys/smiley2.gif[/img]when weather permits it) - 3.4L, ABS brakes...Edited by: Toplessisbetter

Old 03-26-2007, 05:06 PM
Super Moderator

You can just replace one caliper without affecting performance all around. The brakes will need to be bled after that, though.

There is a leak somewhere. Brake fluid cannot just disappear. You might try parking the car over the cardboard, with the engine running, and pumping the brakes several times, then looking for leaks. Maybe the caliper only leaks when under pressure.

I used to have a 95 Cutlass a few years ago, but I don't recall if the brake lines run over the exhaust pipes. If they do, maybe your leak is dripping on the exhaust and burning away before you see it.

Hope this helps.

Old 04-05-2007, 11:53 AM

you should also check the master cylinder it could be leaking from the back seal into the booster and you might not see any fluid leaking for a while with that problem

good luck
-Gordon