Cutlass Talk about all models of the Oldsmobile Cutlass within...

Ran great,than Havoc took over,need help.

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2007, 10:36 PM

Hi there ,Nice to be here and hope to get some answers from my problems.Anyway,got a nice looking 1990 Olds Cultlass Supreme 4 dr.all power and sunroof with the 3.1lM series from my oldest brother and he gave me his car to help me get around till I get metruck up and running....59'Chevy p'up long bed stepside in restoration .Well,he drove it from the Bay Area to the Valley here and all was good and I even drove it around and gave it about ten miles or so,than he left me the ownership keys and the next day my daughter and wife went to the mall and it drove ok ,till they got stuck on the overpass and it wouldn't want to start,it tried to but keeps quiting everytime she would shift it in gear.Had the car towed home and set for 1 day.So I started it up and it ran good,till about 4 blocks and it started to sputtered,as if it wasn't getting fuel,I let it sit for about 10 min. and it started to run agian and made it home.I let the engine on for about 1/2 an hour and it was no problem .Next day,restarted it and it ran great,so I figure ,oh well lets give it another try,so off we go me and my Olds and went to work and no problem,got off from work and started to go home and then it started to choke off again and had to drive slowly no to press the thottle to hard and it bearly made it to the house.Been going on and now the service lights came on and I figure ,well lets take it to the shop and off it went,just making it there again,left it there for 1 week and the mechanic called me and said,they can't figure out the car and that it had some oil spraying on the engine compartment from an oil leak in the power steering and that it showed no warning lights of what so ever on the computer and they check the fuel pump,it was good and other easy quick checks,he also saidthat by cleaning the engine area from the oil they would charge me $1500.00 to clean and try to clean all wirings and maybe,just maybe the computer box might be the problem,he wouldn't guarantee the work due to that it's an electrical problem,maybe....Thats why maybe someone can help me in this Forum and get this back car on the road where it should be,I'd like to restore it and willing to pay for it for repairs ,but seems that it might cost me in the long run to keep it....Any help in answers is a plus...... [img]smileys/smiley6.gif[/img]

Old 05-07-2007, 09:32 AM

That's funny, I'm having a similar problem with my beloved '91 as well. When the car dies, do the breaks go hard and doesthe power steering get extremely stiff? Those are a few of the problems I'm having when mine does this, so I'm really beginning to think it might be my wiring harnessdown by the radiator, which has been clipped on some of Colorado's more unfriendly roads since it's been lowridden. There should be a black plastic tube about 2 inches thick right around the radiator, down around the frame behind the lower valance - it's a main harness.If I were you I'd check that out soon, and if you can see the metal inside the wires freyed out, you should have them soldered by a trusted mechanic and tape that harness tube up as much as you can, then use a lot of strong common zip ties to hold that harness up next to a solid point on the car that isn't too hot during operation. But you'll need to buy the strongest zip ties you can find, and use alot of them - I put several on a while ago and now they're all loose for some reason, so make sure to check them at least a few times a month. Also, check the connections on your battery posts and check your alternator and battery, especially if you notice your lights dim or flicker when she's having her problems. Beyond that, I'm not very sure what to say, but good luck with her.

Old 05-08-2007, 01:27 AM

Thanks 91Cutlass,I'll go look at it and see if the wires have been broken or rip apart.Well,when the car dies and there no power to any power units,it does go stiff on the steering wheel and the brakes have to be press really hard,that should be normal for that status.The car can be started when it wants too,but,in a few minutes it will just stop and play dead and will not run again for another 4-5 hours and it will run,if I give it some gas,if it wants too,it seems to just choke off as if the muffler is plug or the exhaust valve is stuckor no fuel in the system.but, it has just been completely replaced with new injectors,I need to look for those areas as well too.But I will look harder at all the wires for any disconnected plugs or burnt connections......

Old 05-09-2007, 03:34 PM

Awesome, let me know if you find anything out. I'm taking mine to my mechanic this week to have him check it out, and he knows that car up and down, so there's a good chance I'll know exactly what it is soon. I'll let you know what I find out.