General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

1989 Cutlass Ciera

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2007, 05:30 PM

Hi! Im new here and i need help. I have a 1989 cutlass ciera with a 2.8. It was running fine, then 1 day it dies so i replaced the fuel filter and all was well again. Then shortly after it started dieing under a load. Replaced the spark plugs and wires and it got a little better. (it would atleast idle and not die) Then today i started it and it would die anytime i tried to give it gas. it would rev a little then die but i could fire it right back up.

Now, it wont even start. It did for about 2 seconds and died again. Itll crank for awhile then you have to let it sit for about 10 minutes before it turn over again.

I have tested the fuel pressure and ignition module, and also checked for spark all were good. So im stumped and hoping maybe atleast one of you has encountered this type of problem and can atleast steer me in right direction.

Old 11-14-2007, 05:05 PM

UPDATE,

after sitting for a day it fired right up, but try to gve it gas and it dies. let it just idle and it dies. tried different coil pack and idle air control valve and that made no difference.

Only things left i can think of are crank position sensor and/or ecm.

ANYONE have any other suggestions?

Old 11-14-2007, 06:28 PM

I dont know about your particular eng but I think the coolant temp sensor, you can test the one you have with a ohm meter, the test is in the hayes manual, new thay are about 15 bucks. just a thought!

Old 11-14-2007, 07:01 PM

its worth a shot

Old 11-14-2007, 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by DomestiFan
its worth a shot

You might also try cleaning the ground wires that are attcheted along the raditor support. You haveing any eletrical diffuculty's? light, chimes. windows,locks. ect!

Old 11-14-2007, 07:15 PM

i just thought of something. The fuel filter was changed because it was PLUGGED. I have heard that running FI cars out of gas can mess up the catalytic converter, wouldnt a plugged filter (no gas getting through) cause the same situation?

So maybe im looking in the spot. Maybe its a catalytic converter issue.

Old 02-15-2009, 10:32 PM

honestly, before going to the expense of a new cat, try the crank and cam sensors. theyre fairly cheap and not that much of a pain to replace. i had very similar sypmtoms on my 89 delta 3.8, and followed much the same path you did, ignition parts and such. after swapping in the crank sensor, it fired right up and ran like crazy.

if the cam or crank sensor is bad, the computer cant tell where the engine is in its rotation, so it wont turn on the injectors at all. it might spark, but it wont spray.Edited by: husty73