General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

Oldsmobile 88 alternator swap!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2011, 07:03 PM
Default Oldsmobile 88 alternator swap!!

I have a 94 Oldsmobile 88. Sat for a while and then went to start was dead. Got battery replaced for free from Autozone. Tested it and it said recharge and try again so they just swapped me a new one out. Kool. Well still haven't drove car much and go to start it and dead!!! Go to Autozone and get alternator tested and says its going bad but not fully dead. I then proceed to go to a reputable junkyard and I get an alternator that was out of a 94 Park Avenue. I remember the guy saying "oh, a newer one! good deal!" I noticed it didn't have an external fan blade and saw an internal one. I get home and get ready to plug the harness in and it doesn't match up. Thought about it for a minute and then decided that if I cut my male plug off and spliced it to the male end that came with alternator where they had just cut it off car it would be fine. Well the battery still doesn't seem to be charging. I don't know if I got a bad alternator or if the way I did the harness somehow wasn't correct. The only other connection is the lug on back to the battery. The wire coming from the car just tells the alternator to charge or was for the instrument cluster and I figured as long as I wired it to the male end that came with the alternator everything would be butter. Any input is appreciated. Thx. in advance. Mike.