Intrigue Talk about the Oldsmobile Intrigue within...

Speedometer stuck at max - pegged

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2009, 08:14 PM
Default Speedometer stuck at max - pegged

My son owns a 1998 Olds Intrigue on which recently its speedometer stuck at max (however the car's not moving) and does not reset itself at the '0' peg. Has anyone had a similar problem? If yes, what did you or your mechanic do to fix this problem?

Thank you in advance for any helpful suggestions.

GP

Old 08-19-2009, 10:07 PM
Super Moderator

This is not an unheard of problem. Sometimes they will reset themselves after a while, but it sounds like that isn't happening for you. The cluster can be pulled and replaced pretty easily. Look in the Alero section under the sticky "Fix for passlock problems". Down at the end I describe how to pull the cluster. The Intrigue procedure should be very similar based on what I've seen in junkyards, which will be a decent place to get a replacement cluster. Be aware that the vehicle mileage may change, as not all clusters store the mileage. In other words, I don't know if you will show your vehicle's mileage, or the mileage of the donor vehicle, after you install the cluster.
There are also places that repair clusters, generally in the $140 range. If you are handy at soldering and want to try yourself, go for it, they are not hard to disassemble, as you will see when you remove it.
The question you want to ask your son is "How did you get the speedometer needle stuck at that high speed"