New Member Area Are you new?? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride...

95 Cutlass Tranny Problems

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2011, 12:47 PM
Default 95 Cutlass Tranny Problems

Hi ALL,

New to the site. Found you guys by surfing the web. And i have a few questions. I own a 1995 Olds Cutlass Supreme SL. With a 3.1L. It has a little over 160K miles. All orignal except for the head. Ive done general maintence : oil change, tire rotations etc. but one thing i havent done is drained the tranny fluid and put new in. I've been having issues with it every once in a while slipping. Ill pull up to a stop light or stop sign, and then try to go and it wont move. I have to put it in neutral and the drive and then it will go. So i always do the cheap thing first and thought changing the transmission fluid would be a good start. I've heard nothing but bad things about changing fluid ex: it will ruin transmission if its never been done before. I'd like some help and opinions as far as changing it. Or if i should just get a rebuild kit and have a shop rebuild it and put new fluid in. id like to do it myself. If anyone could help me out it would be appreciated!
Thanks

Old 06-25-2011, 04:51 PM
Super Moderator

Welcome to OF, glad to have you here!
I also had a 95 Cutlass, with the 3.1, but my trans only lasted to 130K before getting rebuilt.
I have heard the stories also about a high mileage change followed shortly by a failure. Are you sure the fluid has never been changed? Even if it was done 80K ago, I would probably change it now. Just don't do a flush, do a pan drop and filter change instead.
Given that you are already having problems, I don't see how a change would make it worse. The worst that could happen is you would need a rebuilt trans, but it seems like you are about at that point anyway.
You may have a shop check the shift linkages, there may be enough wear in the cable to need an adjustment. If they are okay though, I'd change the fluid.

Old 09-02-2019, 01:40 PM
Default Trans Issue

Hi, I have a 95 Cuddy 'vert. This is your best shot, trust this- do *exactly* what this says if its not too late:

Do not change tranny fluid, or if u already did & tranny is still same then:

1. Go buy "Lucas Trans Fix" for 12 bucks at an auto parts store.

2. Go to an oil-changing place that can pull fluid from the dipstick side, and ask them to pull out the same number of ounces as the Lucas bottle, then put in the full bottle, takes a while, and possibly do 2, either do both right then by pulling out double, or else wait a few days (of driving, if it helps- it should) to do the second. If doing this doesnt work, you need a rebuild. This will work as well or (much) better than changing trans fluid(!), but if the fluid is black, u gotta change it. Tip them 10 bucks. Jiffy lube or Oil Changers can prolly do it. Very important that they have the thing to pull out the fluid from up top, lol, B4 (!) its done filling with fresh trans,fluid - they always forget when they do it with a trans-refill (!) so watch & make sure they add it before its full so they dont overfill & blow yr seals or have to pull out new fluid they just put in.

The stuff is amazing & usually lasts at least 6 months to a year. Redo when u feel a lil slipping.