Silhouette Talk about the Oldsmobile Silhouette within...

cooling fan not working

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2012, 08:31 PM
Default cooling fan not working

hi, i have a 2002. having over heating problems. the fans will turn on with the a/c on but not when it off and hot. replaced the temp sensor and still no go. found a post that said guy unplug it <temp sensor> and fans ran so i tried that they turned on. shut off then started back up with plug in they didnt come on, at a loss what to do. need more ifo? jus say so give all that i have. also jus found my carpet on driver side soaked pulled back the capet and smells like stagnant water, the pad behind the pedals was soaked also, hasn't rained so i dont know what it could be pepole say heater core is on passengers side Please any help would be great.

Old 08-07-2012, 08:46 PM

note the fans with CTS unplugged is on high least seems so cuase they are extremely loud and fast

Old 08-10-2012, 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by Mike Burgos
note the fans with CTS unplugged is on high least seems so cuase they are extremely loud and fast

only get heat half of the time now. any ideas of help would be nice

Old 08-30-2012, 07:15 AM

Check the coolent in the radiator, not in the overflow tank.
If the Coolent temp sensor isn't submurged in fluid, it won't do it's job. Low coolant will keep the heater from working too.
I got my van cheap because it needed intake manifold gaskets, it's a popular problem with the 3.4. Coolant can leak onto the ground or into the engine oil.
The moisture on the floor may be condensation from the AC system. If the drains are plugged with dirt, it flows out onto the floor..

Old 08-30-2012, 09:33 PM

I also have a cooling fan issue. I've done the following:
Flushed and replaced antifreeze
Replaced Coolant Sensor
Switched relays under the hood.

They seem to only come on when I unplug the new sensor.

The only thing I've not done was to replace the thermostat. I don't think it's bad because it seems to be working properly. Maybe the wrong one has been installed?

What about the PCM? I have another 1999 I have for parts but it's a more "Luxuray" (sp?) model. Will that PCM work in mine? Same size engine and all.